Tuesday, July 28, 2009

A Rag Man

Obviously, this reading and following was about anagrams. Personally I like the idea of the anagram as a poetic device and truly applaud those who used the technique before the internet and computerized generators (it took me about 5 minutes to think of what I could have by anagraming the word anagram just to get the title of this post). Anagraming is also unique and interesting because there are so many different word combinations that go unnoticed. I think we all settle into our own comfortable vernacular and stray rarely from a strong list of words that we feel comfortable with. When putting things as simple as your name into an anagram generator, there are often words that we seldom see or use (omelet eon gym gun is one anagram for Tommy Eugene Long).

The Disappearance seems like a wonderful experiment and it must have been a painstakingly arduous task to write 300 pages without the letter E. As I read the small piece shown, I became highly impressed at the execution of such a task. Exercises like these truly reinforce the power of the human brain. Well, its either that or we don't need the letter "E" (I quote the simpsons when Homer writes a restaraunt review on the computer and his keyboard doesn't have a letter E " we don't need no stinkin E's...Extravagent Eateries..no...food box...by homer...no...Earl.. no...aha BILL Simpson!") The Christian Bok book, and flash demo of E especially, was wonderful. Something about mermen and greek crews erecting vessels was wonderful use of one vowel throughout. It is definitely presented well on the internet utilizing modern mediums.


(I couldn't) (think of) (what to) (anagram)

cold unit fink tho hat tow raga man
lucid not fit honk watt ho a nag ram
cloud tin fink hot what to a gram an
Doc unlit of think that ow a mag ran
cut do nil hat wot a ma rang
Colt dun I thaw to a nag arm
Tic old nu haw tot a nag mar
cold I tun tatt how a rag am
cunt idol watt oh a gar man
could nit hat two gar am an

gibberish I know but like the title says..I couldn't think of what to anagram

4 comments:

  1. Seriously good point about the brave souls who made anagrams when it wasn't easy. Now it's just as simple as pie! I think it must have taken a bit of genius to do it before, it was definitely an exercise for the brain, and though it's easier now, i don't belittle it, it's just a different experience. In fact, looking at the long list of anagrams after typing in a sentence, it's almost as if the finished product exercises the brain FOR you. Seeing the turnouts and relating them to your pre-scrambled word is it's own kind of cognitive education.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say though, it may be easier now. But it's certainly not 'easy'. It took me a ridiculous amount of time just to anagram the song I picked, which isn't very long. And even then I had to stop and color just so I could refresh my brain. I can't imagine what it was like back in the day, which is probably only like five maybe ten years ago maybe less, when people had to anagram by mind-power only. I had a teacher in high school who liked it so much he had the class do it at least once a week. "A good brain workout" he would call it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah! I like your "I Couldn't Think What to Anagram" anagram. I like the approach of what you did (using the same words throughout) because you really get to see the FULL potential of what those words could be. It gives me a different perspective on all those words. Very neat! My favorite line is "Colt dun I thaw to a nag arm" haha!

    ReplyDelete