Monday, April 20, 2009

Chapbook thus far vol. 1

So far...

the key word in that small phrase is "far". I am far from deciding what I still want to do. I know that it will a concept piece meaning that all the poems will be very directly linked somehow. I was thinking of going along the theme of vanity/wealth or assumed wealth and writing some poems along those lines, or calling my chapbook "gun" and writing poems from different perspectives that would have to do with guns. There are some other ideas but I don't know if they'll fly yet...

As far as the reading goes, Louis Zukoofsky was very "interesting" to say the least. The selected pieces all had very fascinating structures. The first few, Fifth Movement: Autobiography for example, were were written in either index or table of contents form. I enjoyed Fifth because it was written as a table of contents and as a very personal poem. The style is very unique, though written in 1928, and it is yet another poem from that era that is making me reevaluate my impression of poetry from earlier in the century. The disassembled form of "To My Wash-Stand" becomes a little stale by the time you get to the end, but writing an ode to a sink is very creative. He makes things like looking in the mirror and washing his left beautiful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment