Wednesday, April 29, 2009

My First Niece

"Hi Uncle Pommy!"
Utterances slowly evolving
from garbled "Iloveoos"
Into full distinct words.
And I know there is no "P" in Tommy
And I think you know that too
but it's ok

When did these years leave?
The first time seeing you,
my brothers daughter
his key back into our lives,
you looked so much like my sister.19 has turned into near 23 
and now,
you look so much like her still
but your personality is Katelyn
and Katelyn only.

Where did you learn to smirk like me?
Or melt my heart
through a telephone.

And when did you become a big sister?
The years that Kassydie has been here
passed like a beautiful afternoon
too quickly and unnoticed
and today you are sisters
not just my two little nieces.

When you first realized that you had two grandmas
one Rhonda
one Betty--
who loves you in her absence and presence--
you brushed years away from my mothers eyes.

I could chase you until forever
as long as you can find room to run
around my brother's apartment
I could chase you.


1 comment:

  1. This is wonderful! It feels absolutely direct and unforced, and yet the language is precise and musical at nearly every turn. This isn't part of that chapbook idea you discussed in class, is it? A new direction, I hope?

    ReplyDelete