Thursday, May 14, 2009

Hats On

When I used to go to my locker--
after school
or after a long rest after morning practice
or before the birds told us it was morning--
there was always a countdown.
It was either "a few more days of camp"
or "one more day til Saturday (Friday in high school)"
or "three hours til I get to go back to bed".

Putting on pants over a spandex girdle,
shoving my feet into pre-tied cleats,
strapping on shoulder pads,
mindless tasks before heading out to the grass.

I liked to be alone--
call me weird
or observant--
because it felt right. 
I always felt just a little uncomfortable
and so I knew everything was ok.

We would congregate before practice--
freshman with freshman
running backs and running backs
offense and offense
defense and defense--
and bullshit.

Waiting for the coaches to come out,
to tell us to circle up
or take a knee
or line up on the "gold line",
this was what playing football was about.


No comments:

Post a Comment